Recitation 1: User Stories
This recitation will give you the opportunity to familiarize yourself with user stories and help you capture the end user perspective as you build projects.
- Mehul Agarwal & Rohit Nanjangud Shreenivas
- Emails: email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office Hours: TBD
What are User Stories
The general criteria for a user story: - Capture a description of a software feature from an end-user perspective - Are used for planning - Facilitate conversation among users, stakeholders, developers and etc.
User Story Template
For example, for a job portal:
Epics V/S User Stories
In tech, Epics are not as long as The Odyssey or Mahabharat, but their relative scale is similar
As compared to User Stories:
What makes a good User Story
Consider the following product by a relatively unknown startup: maps.google.com - Form teams and create User Stories for a Google Maps alternative:
- As a delivery driver I would like to be able to have multiple destinations so that I can maximize tips by doing multiple deliveries as fast as possible
Food for Thought
- What are the benefits of INVEST?
- What are the issues with the INVEST approach?
Let's try it out
- Capture a description of a software feature from an end-user perspective
- (As a class) Let’s come up with a small example application
- Same teams, Brainstorm and write 5-10 user stories
The 3C's Approach
- Card: The user stories written on cards by customer/product owner
- Conversation: The communication between customer/product owner and developers
- Confirmation: Acceptance criteria/test
- Homework 1 available on the course website now